SCBWI ACT is a local branch of the international Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Our global community is a non-profit, 501(c)3 organisation, and is one of the largest existing organisations for writers and illustrators. It is the only professional organisation specifically for those individuals writing and illustrating for children and young adults in the fields of children’s literature, magazines, film, television, and multimedia. Our mission is to support the creation and availability of quality children’s books around the world. We accomplish this by fostering a vibrant community of individuals who bring books for young readers to the public including writers, illustrators, translators, editors, publishers, agents, librarians, educators, booksellers, bloggers, enthusiasts and others. We provide education and support for these individuals and the community through our awards, grants, programs and events. We strive to increase the quality and quantity of children’s books in the marketplace, and act as a consolidated voice for writers and illustrators of children’s books worldwide.
Wow, that was a lot to read! The short version is that SCBWI is an international organisation with regional chapters and local branches all over the world. SCBWI ACT is a local branch in the Australia East and New Zealand chapter. Just remember; an international organisation, with regional chapters around the world and local branches… simple!
We’re always keen for new members to join our community; if you’re passionate about children’s literature, we’d be delighted to see you at one of our events, or to see your name on our membership list. It doesn’t matter where you are up to in your own story; you don’t need to be published to join SCBWI. We’re an inclusive and diverse community of enthusiastic, emerging and established writers, illustrators, editors, translators and other types of story-tellers. Join our tribe!
Once you’re a member of the global society, have a snoop around the Australia East Coast and New Zealand site here. You’ll find information on local events, conference information, Australian online critique groups you can join and much more.There are heaps of benefits to being a SCBWI member, including:
- Access to SCBWI ACT. We foster a warm sense of community for story-tellers, offer development opportunities and connect meet like-minded & helpful individuals;
- Casual ‘Meet and Greets’ around the country;
- Coffee or dinner dates with visiting members;
- Regular development opportunities;
- Conferences and retreats;
- International events;
- Creating and sharing your member profile;
- Opportunities to promote your work;
- On-line critique groups;
- Interviews with industry leaders;
- Blogs and podcasts;
- Sketch Look online illustrator showcase;
- Speakers’ bureau;
- Member bookstore;
- Resource library with discussion boards, bulletins, member blogs, reading lists and more;
- Mentorship programs, grants and awards;
- Regular newsletters;
- Partnership with Australian Society of Authors;
- Room to Read (an opportunity to support literacy and reading for all children);
- Annual download of SCBWI The Book: The Essential Guide to Publishing for Children.
Additional ACT benefits:
- SCBWI ACT Facebook page: For SCBWI ACT members only, this private Facebook page provides a safe space to ask questions, share information, and keep up with what is happening in the world of children’s literature. Search for ‘SCBWI ACT (and surrounds) private group’ on Facebook. We look forward to seeing your Face(book)!
- SCBWI ACT mailing list: For anyone looking to keep an eye on SCBWI ACT happenings, drop us a line and we’ll make an appearance in your inbox. We promise to send you enticing emails that you won’t even contemplate deleting.
Phew! You made it through to the end; high five! We hope to see you soon!